Thursday, March 29, 2012

Book Review: Sorcery & Cecelia: Or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot

Sorcery & Cecelia: Or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot  *****
By Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer


I admit, I picked up this book strictly for the title, and I'm glad I did. Sorcery and Cecelia is totes adorbs (yes, I just said that). The story follows two young women in 1800s London where magic is common and the Season is in full swing. The book is written as correspondence between two cousins, Kate and Cecelia. Kate is in London for the Season and Cecelia is stuck at home, and yet the two wind up having adventures that are strangely tied together. Though the story is told through letters (and by two authors), it feels very cohesive and natural; the letters didn't feel like they were overdoing it with exposition and the story itself remained fluid.

While this book was originally written in 1988, it still holds up, and I would recommend it to any teen (or teen-reading adult) who is in the mood for a light and fun read. I'm definitely going to read the next in the series, The Grand Tour.

Update: I received an email from Open Road Media letting me know that the titles in the Sorcery and Cecelia series are being re-released as e-books and that they have brand-spankin-new covers! So if you read this post prior to 5/17/2012, yes, the cover art in this blog has been changed :) And I have to say, I really like it!

Check out the new artwork for the other two books in the series:





No comments:

Post a Comment