Saturday, December 29, 2012

Manga Review: Library Wars

Library Wars: Love & War Volume 1
By Kiiro Yumi
Three Stars

Goodreads Description:
In the near future, the federal government creates a committee to rid society of books it deems unsuitable. The libraries vow to protect their collections, and with the help of local governments, form a military group to defend themselves--the Library Forces!

Iku Kasahara has dreamed of joining the Library Defense Force ever since one of its soldiers stepped in to protect her favorite book from being confiscated in a bookstore when she was younger. But now that she's finally a recruit, she's finding her dream job to be a bit of a nightmare. Especially since her hard-hearted drill instructor seems to have it in for her!


My Review:
I think it's kind of obvious why I wanted to read this book. I am a librarian afterall. I've only ventured as far as the first volume, so I can't fully review the series, but I did enjoy my first taste of the story and I intend to keep reading it.

The background for the story, what causes the action, is worth thinking about. It's happened before, and in some parts of the world, it's happening now: books are being banned, confiscated, and the powers-that-be are deeming what is and is not appropriate for people to read. Libraries already stand for the Freedom to Read and Intellectual Freedom, but the idea that libraries become a defense force is pretty cool. The story itself is pretty cute, very rom-com, if you can be rom-com in what feels like a police state. But any story that has boot camp, weapons training, and teaches the Dewey Decimal System is pretty awesome. There were a few moments where the text was a bit confusing, but I think that was more of a translation issue that anything. Other than that, though, it was a fun read. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment